2008 BMW 328i supported but not 528i?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Why is the 2008 BMW 328i supported, but not the 528i, and is support for this model on the roadmap? I just acquired a 528i of this model year and was introduced to Automatic by an enthusiastic friend, and I really want to get one for my car, but this is highly disappointing.
Photo of Kashi Senthilnatha

Kashi Senthilnatha

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

• 41,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi there, Kashi, and thanks for your interest! The reason why the 2008 BMW 528i isn't supported yet is because this model has a known issue where the car goes into a diagnostic mode and "wakes up" from sleep upon detecting that something was plugged into the OBD-II port. This can result in unintended battery drain. We plan to support this vehicle in the future (support will come in the form of a firmware update), but there's no ETA right now.

You can sign up to be notified when it's supported by visiting our car compatibility page. Once there, enter your vehicle information and then enter your email address in the box that appears:

Kashi Senthilnatha

Thanks, Tom! Very helpful, and fast! I've signed up for the notification.
Photo of Akhil Deodhar

Akhil Deodhar

• 70 Points
Is it the same issue with the 2013 528xi as well ? Any update on an ETA?
Photo of Akhil Deodhar

Akhil Deodhar

• 70 Points
Thanks for your reply, Jeff. Is this fixed on the 2nd generation adapter?
Photo of Jeff

Jeff, Alum

• 14,146 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Most models under that series work with the 2nd generation adapter, however, we advise you go about doing so with caution.

If you do decide to use a 2nd gen Automatic adapter in your vehicle, please keep an eye on your car's battery as that was the main issue with the 1st gen adapter. This shouldn't be an issue, but we just like to make sure our customers are aware of what to look out for based on past issues. If you run into any issues, please let us know.

Update

Hey Akhil,

I apologize as I misunderstood the information given to me from our team. Both the first and second generation Automatic adapters are not supported with the series of BMW during this production year. I apologize for the mistake on my part. 
(Edited)

Kashi Senthilnatha

I'm not sure if I understand. Is it supported on the 2nd gen or not?

2008 528i
(Edited)
Photo of Jeff

Jeff, Alum

• 14,146 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hey Kashi,

Sorry for the confusion. At this point in time, the 2008 528i is supported by the second generation adapter and should be OK. Due to past issues, we do express that you move forward with caution and just be aware if anything seems off, but it should be fine to use.

If you have any questions or concerns before moving forward, please feel free to contact our Helpdesk at help@automatic.com.

Kashi Senthilnatha

Oh, thanks!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.