2013 Ford Focus ST Stumbling with Automatic Pro Connected

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I've had 3 Automatic adapters now: Gen 1, Gen 2, and now the Pro and I now realize this issue problem has involved each one.

For quite some time now my 2013 Focus ST would have morning stumbling problems similar to a misfire in low-load situations. The Focus has a TSB for a wiring harness that addresses a similar issue and I had that done 2 years ago. Since then this problem has continued, but it never produced a CEL and I chalked it up to a quirk of the car.

The other day I brought it in to Ford to have a couple of recalls completed and I mentioned this problem. The tech took a look at it, and was able to replicate the issue. He mentioned the readings they were getting from the computer were erratic, and when he took off the Automatic adapter those readings cleared right up and the problem went away.

I've had the adapter off the car for the past couple of days and sure enough the stumbling seems to be gone.

Problem is now, what do I do with the Automatic Pro? I've had it for a few months so I can't return it, it's tied in to my smarthome (Nest), and I don't want to lose the data it gives me. Then again if it's causing this stumbling in low-load situations I certainly don't want to keep it connected, but also I don't want to throw away $150.
Photo of Christopher Cuttriss

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Amy

Amy

• 68,970 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Chris. Very odd! I’m exporting your post to our help desk system so Tech Support can assist you directly and our Senior Automotive Engineer can look into it to determine next steps. They’ll be reaching out to you via email so please keep your eye out for an email from support@automatic.com.
Thanks, Amy!  I clearly didn't proofread that first paragraph before submitting, but appreciate the help!
Photo of Amy

Amy

• 68,970 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ha. No worries. I knew what you intended. ;) 
Photo of Jason Tuzinkiewicz

Jason Tuzinkiewicz

• 60 Points
I am experiencing the same misfiring issue with my Automatic Gen 1 adapter in my '06 Subaru Impreza.. 3-4 times within the past two weeks. The mechanic was going crazy due to the erratic issue caused by the adapter. I do like the idea of the features provided with this device, but it is not worth the misfires and rough idling it is causing. Unless this problem can be addressed, I will not be plugging my device back in. The car has been running smoothly without it so far.
Photo of Derrick S.

Derrick S., Official Rep

• 7,684 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jason,

Please email Tech Support at help@automatic.com so we can investigate.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.