Automatic Pro: Fuel Level / Fill Ups

• Idea
  • Updated 3 months ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

My old Automatic (v1) recognized fuel level in my 2009 Honda Civic and would handle fuel stops automatically. My Automatic Pro doesn't do this and from a check through this forum it looks like it's not supported.

It feels like a bit of a step backwards to me. It seems like it should be able to handle both fuel level and fill ups (and log the data with the right price based on GPS).

Is this something that is coming in an update?
Photo of Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop

• 552 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of JDnLex

JDnLex

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The automatic fuel logging is one of my favorite features of my v2 adapter, and I too was disappointed to see that feature not present at launch of v3.   I like the idea of the 3G connection on the unit itself, but being the only driver of my car, I'm having trouble understanding what value moving from v2 to v3 would be for me.   

The missing features do not help with the upsell.  Right now, I'm just taking a wait and see approach.  
Photo of Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop

• 552 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I didn't realize it was missing this feature when I ordered the Automatic Pro. It, to me, looked like: It's the Automatic, but now has 3G so you don't have to screw with pairing your phone or always having it on you. Also, it has GPS so you always know where your car is.

I really didn't think the "Automatic Pro" would be missing features.
Photo of SP

SP

• 402 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
If you have it connected to Alex, she will still provide accurate fuel levels. Also if you have it connected to Stringify , it provides fuel level. I find it odd that the data is there but Automatic chose not to have it in the app.
Photo of Amy

Amy

• 68,970 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That's correct. If your car reports fuel level (~50% of cars do) and you have it hooked up to Alexa with your Automatic Pro, you can get fuel level from Alexa. This was actually a byproduct of some previous API work that was completely separate from the Pro app and happens to work with the Pro adapter as it's a server-side function. 

W/r/t to this feature not being in the app -- When developing a new app from the ground up and on a timeline, you have to prioritize and make sacrifices. Additionally, this feature has been one that only works on half the cars that use Automatic and even at that doesn't always work flawlessly for some of those cars. As such, it needs a complete reconsideration. The feedback we're getting from users about what's most important to them is very helpful in this process. 
Photo of SP

SP

• 402 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I fine the fuel piece extremely useful.  I would also like the connection beep back and a way to automatically or manually (if that is the only way) record mileage at fill up.
Photo of Amy

Amy

Thanks for the feedback, SP!
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Was about to pull the trigger on these as Christmas presents, but without the fuel monitoring I feel one of the more important features is lost.  Really hope this changes before the holidays.
Photo of Amy

Amy

Hi Mike, this feature only every worked with ~50% of cars so it's not guaranteed that the cars of your gift recipients would've had that feature with the Gen 2 adapter. 
Photo of Mark Raskalian

Mark Raskalian

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
How hard can this be? You know the tank capacity, fuel consumption rate, MPG and miles. You could do a reasonable estimate. Worse case, you'd need the user to input when he fills with gas (this inconvenience, would effect only 50% of cars and only those drivers who really value this feature)
Photo of Amy

Amy

It's not a matter of how hard this is, Mark. There are a lot of competing priorities for developer time. When / if the product team decides to redesign this feature for the new product, they'll add it to their roadmap. 
Photo of David Bidwell

David Bidwell

• 178 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Gas Gauge Pro App.

Does the Pro App Show you how may miles you have to empty like the other app did? I would
I know there are a lot of features that are still in the works for the pro app. I Know trip Tagging and business tagging are in the works  
also like to see the Apple Watch get the pro App. 
However I don't know if the gas meter is working or even a thought for the pro app right now. can some one let me know. Thanks. 
Photo of Amy

Amy

Fuel level is not a feature of Automatic Pro, David. I'm not sure yet if it will be developed for Pro. Thanks for your interest in that, though!
Photo of Nataraj Sundar

Nataraj Sundar

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Fuel level warning in Automatic Pro.

How can I enable a warning when Fuel level is low in my car/how can I find out the current Fuel level in my car
Photo of Chris Krueger

Chris Krueger

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Throwing in my vote for fuel monitoring support in the pro app. I upgraded to the new adapter and I miss the feature quite a bit.
Photo of Bill Bug

Bill Bug

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Glad I found this thread before I purchased. I assumed fuel level would be in it, since my vehicles support it. Guess I'll hold off on buying for our cars until it's in.
Photo of Dan

Dan

• 1,018 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Any update on this? It seems a bit silly that I would have to buy an Amazon Alexa to get the fuel level data that Automatic has for my cars...
Photo of Greg Harper

Greg Harper

• 330 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have an "alexa" device but it doesn't work for me.  I guess my 2013 is among the cars it won't work for.

Side note-  Dan - if you download the Amazon Shopping app you have access to Alexa and can enable skills - same as if you owned a physical alexa device like an echo, dot, etc.  

To find it in the shopping app - just look near the top right under the cart.  
Photo of Dan

Dan

Greg, thanks for the tip about using the Amazon shopping app. I think this might be an iOS only feature right now and I didn't see any way to access it from my Android device.
Photo of Greg Harper

Greg Harper

• 330 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Sorry you are right, iOS only.  
Photo of Amy

Amy

Hi Dan & Greg - No update yet on fuel level for Pro.

To clarify a few things: 
  • Gen 2 & the Classic iOS app is the combo that has the fuel level feature in the app, which works for about 50% of cars on the road.
  • Pro & the new app do not yet have that feature. 
  • If your car's gas tank detects fillups & reports fuel level via the OBD-II port then the API can still report fuel level via our Alexa integration -- regardless of whether you're iOS or Android. We've recently learned that for this to work, though, it's likely that you would first have had to previously set your car up on a Gen 2 adapter. (If someone can confirm or deny this, I'd love to know!)
Photo of slprice

slprice

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I never had a Gen 2 adapter, yet the Alexa fuel level integration works for me with the Pro adapter.
Photo of Amy

Amy

Huzzah! Thank you for confirming that! There was some debate over here about that. 
Photo of dotMorten

dotMorten

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You should be more clear here and say it's not a feature of the _app_. The device logs this just fine and reports it back to your servers. It's been 12 months, and you haven't been able to find time to add an extra line in your app that states the fuel level? Getting fuel level was one of the big selling points for me and my wife! I can't begin to tell you how disappointing it was that it wasn't there.
I was playing with your API and the fuel level is there, so you are most definitely already downloading the number to the app when getting vehicle info. All you need is to find a spot to put it in your UI.
Personally I'm now building a little app for myself to check this value and notify me when it starts to get low.
(Edited)
Photo of Andres Aristizabal

Andres Aristizabal

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
My thoughts exactly, Morten.  I wish they would bring that feature back.  The original unit had that feature and it was my favorite one.  The only reason I use the new version is because of the GPS location.
Photo of Derrick S.

Derrick S., Official Rep

• 7,354 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Thank you for the feedback Andres and Morten! Unfortunately as you know, Fuel Level is not a current feature of Automatic Pro and I don't know if it will be added back or not. We will be sure to announce it if it does, though!
Photo of dotMorten

dotMorten

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The Windows version of the Automatic app that I'm building has a Fuel Gauge. Pretty easy to do :-)

...no I'm not planning on releasing this app. Just having a little fun with the Automatic APIs
Photo of David Sullivan

David Sullivan

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Would you be willing to open source your app so the rest of us can have some fun too?
Photo of Jordan McDonald

Jordan McDonald

• 66 Points
Please bring back the fuel-level feature!!!
Photo of Valan Wood

Valan Wood

• 60 Points
Any update? Seems like this is a high RoI feature due to low cost and high demand. If you guys aren’t doing this, you are missing out. I know CS agents sometimes feel they have no control on feature development, but please promote this feature on behalf of your customers.
Photo of Dan

Dan

There are multiple threads asking for this feature for over a year now. It appears that Automatic is actively refusing to add this feature back to their product.
Photo of Derrick S.

Derrick S., Official Rep

• 7,254 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Dan,

We aren't actively refusing to do anything. What we are simply making decisions based on available resources.
Photo of Sean Ryan

Sean Ryan

• 60 Points
Worth noting, I have a vehicle that I just purchased and am planning on adding a OBD-II realtime connection to it.. I have been actively comparing products and features, and until I read this thread was settling on a automatic pro.. Unfortunately, a big feature that I need is an integration that will prompt me when my fuel level drops below 1/4 tank..  (I drive in rural areas that don't always have easy access to open fuel stations and this vehicle has a pretty narrow margin on it's low fuel indicator)

I may still purchase a automatic pro, but it's now less attractive.. 
Photo of Glenn

Glenn

• 52 Points
I had a legacy adapter installed on my truck and it reported fuel level and I was able to access this via the link to Alexa. This functionality vanished a few weeks ago and I just installed a pro adapter with hopes that it would be restored, but to no avail. My two cents.... bring back this function please ! It was a great way to gauge my morning commute and decide if a fill up stop would be required.
Photo of Derrick S.

Derrick S., Official Rep

• 7,354 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Glenn, thanks for the feedback! 
Photo of Brian Whitfield

Brian Whitfield

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm a new AutomaticPro owner.  From reading these threads about requesting new functionality and how simplistic it would be to implement vs "other priorities", it sounds like they may have very few or a single software developer(s) working on the application.  Earlier in this thread, dotMorten demonstrated how adding fuel level measurement capability can be readily done.  The problem appears to be that they have way too few resources allocated to supporting this product.  Perhaps one of the community members will implement a simple app using the published API to provide this functionality and share it with us.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.