Automatic works great in my diesel 2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI

• Praise
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Just a positive note to the Automatic crew.

I bought my Automatic yesterday. In the two days I've been using it in my diesel 2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI, the Automatic has been spot-on accurate in tracking miles driven, MPG, and fuel cost. I understand you have to state you don't support diesels yet, but man on man it's working great on mine. And as a final note, I feel I'm cheating the score. The Jetta just sort of encourages good driving habits. :) (Syncing to my iPhone 5S.)
Photo of John Adams

John Adams

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • excited

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Ani

Ani, Customer Care Lead

• 9,824 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
We're happy to hear it works great on your TDI already. We're still working on fully supporting diesels but it's great to know it's going well for you so far. Keep us posted on how it works in the long run!
Photo of dan goldsmith

dan goldsmith

• 70 Points
John

I too drive an '11 Jetta TDI and want to use the device. I was thrown off by their stating they dont support it yet, good to know it actually works.

Quick question, where is USB port on the Jetta?

Thanks
Photo of John Adams

John Adams

You do mean the ODB port right? It's beneath the dash (hanging on the bottom of the dash), near the hood release lever.
Photo of dan goldsmith

dan goldsmith

• 70 Points
I'll look for it. Thanks for the reply.
Photo of Hamza Faláh

Hamza Faláh

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Does it accurately report MPG or just EPA estimate? That's what it does on my TDI Jetta and Audi Q5. :(
Photo of John Adams

John Adams

It's reporting 35, which is what fuelly.com tells me when I type in the data from a refuelling.
Photo of Sean Gallagher

Sean Gallagher

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
My '13 Jetta TDI will vary from 35-41. But it always maxes out at 41, or around the EPA estimate. Personal spreadsheet data about fill ups indicate that actual mpg is higher than that. So while it can be accurate, it seems if you get anything above the highway EPA estimate, it goes with that and can't provide an accurate number.
(Edited)
Photo of John Adams

John Adams

I've 51k miles on my '11. I'm getting 35 MPG solid every tank on city driving. So I can't say if Automatic is just saying EPA or not.
Photo of Sean Gallagher

Sean Gallagher

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hey John, I looked through some of the other responses and found this from Jerry, one of the Automatic co-founders.

Community.automatic.com

At this time, the MPG for some diesel vehicles (i.e. Audi, VW TDI's) is calculated using the EPA values for city vs highway driving.

Not exactly sure how they calculate city vs highway driving, perhaps based the speed we're driving at. When I have a mix of city and highway driving, it does tend to give me a more accurate reading. It's only when my driving is pure highway, and I average around 46-52, that the automatic will max out at 41 mpg and does not match what my mpg log tells me.

Totally agree with you that the Jetta encourages good driving habits. And hopefully at some point in the future we get full diesel support!
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

• 41,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Greetings everyone. I am actually a TDI owner as well :) 2009 Jetta here.

I can report that the number displayed for your trip's MPG is mirroring that of the EPA's rating.

As you all know, TDIs aren't yet supported, but I'm anxiously awaiting right along with you.
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

Hello fellow diesel owners. I wanted to let you know that we now have a diesel updates mailing list! If you’re interested in signing up, please visit this page.
Photo of Geoff Rowland

Geoff Rowland

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
great thanks.  I purchased the automatic a few weeks ago and it's been working great so far in my 2011 Golf TDI (driver score might be off though, heh)
Photo of Amy

Amy

• 68,970 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Glad it's working well for you!
Photo of Mark F

Mark F

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I just Got Automatic for my 2009 TDI Sportwagen.  It could read and clear my Check engine light.  As others reported, it seems accurate on gas milage, etc.  I'm not sure about its definition of "hard breaking" :)
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

Welcome to Automatic, Mark. It's always nice to meet another TDI owner as well :)

If you're curious as to how the app determines hard brakes and accels, check out this related discussion.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Photo of Dan Goldsmith

Dan Goldsmith

• 60 Points
Hey Mark. Thanks for the props on the TDI, love that car. Automoatic...not so much. I gave it a month and returned it. Womp-Womp...

Cheers

Dan
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

I'm sorry that Automatic didn't work out for you, Dan! If you're interested in giving Automatic another go when we officially support diesels, you should sign up for our diesel updates mailing list here.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.