Crash Alert and 911 Routing ?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I understand Automatic does not require any subscription fees. However, you do provide a call center so if there's a crash detected a Live Agent will call to confirm the nature of the crash and see if 911 assistance is required.

Here are my questions:

1. The Live Agent obviously knows the location of the vehicle. Is this via a GPS chip set in the Automatic device or from the GPS in my smartphone?

2. Once the Live Agent know the location of the Vehicle, how does the Live Agent know which 911 call center to call?

3. Does Automatic subscribe to a PSAP lookup service, through Intrado, TCS or Pitney Bowes or some other 3rd party vendor?

4. ..or has Automatic mapped out the 6,500 plus 911 call centers in the USA and which GPS co-ordinates they serve?

5. Is the Vehicle data and crash information then shared verbally with the 911 call center operator and is teh alert also sent digitally with all relevant vehicle information and GPS co-ordinates?

6. Generally any mobile safety service that employs a call center does not provide this service for free (On Star, Ford 911 Assist, etc) Is this a temporary offering that will change once Automatic has sold hundreds of thousands of these devices?

Thank you in advance for addressing the above, it will be most helpful to a father with driving age kids and for those other parents who also face challenges and consideration regarding their child's safety while driving.

Mr. H
(disclosure: I work in the 911 industry)
Photo of Henry Siegel

Henry Siegel

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

• 41,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Henry! Thanks for your questions surrounding Crash Alert. Someone from our team is reviewing your post and will get back to you with more details very soon.
Photo of Chuck

Chuck, Alum

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Mr. Siegel --

It's a pleasure to meet you in our Community and thanks for your interest in Automatic Crash Alert.  

Automatic captures a car's location in an accident via the GPS information from the phone.  Automatic's Crash Alert operations are fully integrated into the United State's emergency response network and Public Safety Answering Points.  Through our Crash Alert infrastructure, emergency responders are provided with the relevant information on the vehicle and driver necessary to fully respond to a Crash Alert incident.  Unfortunately business confidentiality considerations do not allow me to answer your questions 1-5 in greater detail.

Regarding your question 6:  Automatic feels strongly that all drivers should have the benefit of Crash Alert. We do not charge an additional fee to cover Automatic's cost of providing Crash Alert protection 24 hours a day, 365 days a year -- and we do not have any plans to change that.  

Thanks again for your interest in Automatic and Crash Alert and may all your drives be enjoyable and safe.

Best Regards -- 

Chuck
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

Hope this helps, Henry. You also mentioned having a teen driver in your household. Are you familiar with License+?

Here's a link to some related community discussions and FAQs about License+ as well.
(Edited)
Photo of Henry Siegel

Henry Siegel

Hi Chuck,

Thanks so much for your timely response. I understand Automatic's concerns about business confidentiality.

If one were to purchase an Automatic and rely on the efficacy of 911 Routing, it would be reasonable know if an Agent actually calls the Administrative line of a PSAP only, or is it augmented with actual data collected by the device and also transmitted directly to the same PSAP (not just verbally communicated by Live Agent).

One of the huge issues PSAPs face, in a life threatening situation, is latency..how quickly can the caller (or Live Agent in Automatic's case)   clearly and concisely convey all relevant information in an analog manner...analog meaning voice only. 

If Automatic is sending digitized data to the PSAP then the time it takes to convey all relevant information is reduced to how quickly the PSAP Operator can read, digest and act upon it. All this results in a decrease in the dreaded latency than currently plagues 911 callers and PSAP operators and causes the loss of life....more so now with multicultural and multi-lingual citizens/drivers.

I think it is crucial that potential Automatic purchasers understand what occurs when a Crash Alert is created, how information is handled when a life is on the line. Will you please illuminate how Automatic conveys Crash Alert information between the device, the Live Agent and PSAP relevant to the real-time location of the driver?

kindly,
Henry
(Edited)
Photo of Chuck

Chuck, Alum

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Henry --

Thanks for your follow up note. 

When a crash occurs, Automatic Crash Alert sends information digitally to our Monitoring Center, including the latitude and longitude location of the crash.  Our Monitoring Center systems immediately provide relevant crash information (in a standard format) to an Agent on their computer screen. This information includes which PSAP the Agent should proceed with contacting. Our Agent then calls the correct PSAP and provides the PSAP Representative with the crash information required for the PSAP Representative to activate Emergency Services.  

This is a standard set of information and our Monitoring Center Agents are trained professionals whose core job responsibility is to relay such information to PSAPs day in and day out.  Because of this, the information exchanged between the Monitoring Center and PSAP Representative is extremely quick, clear, efficient and concise -- without the latency issues you feel can occur when regular citizens call 911 to report emergencies.  

Thanks again for your interest in Automatic Crash Alert.

Have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving.

-- Chuck
Photo of Henry Siegel

Henry Siegel

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the thoughtful and concise answer.  Would it be possible to further reply privately?

Regards,

Henry
(Edited)
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

Hi Henry! Feel free to email support@automatic.com and reference this discussion in your message.
"Automatic captures a car's location in an accident via the GPS information from the phone."

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but am I correct in understanding that in the case of a wreck, I must have my phone with me in order for the car's location to be reported to 911? What if I didn't have my phone with me? What if I had a different phone?
Photo of Amy

Amy

• 68,970 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
With Gen 1 and Gen 2, yes you'd need your phone with you and connected to the adapter for Crash Alert to work. That's because those adapters rely on the cellular connection of your phone to send the signal. With Automatic Pro, which is a cellular adapter,  you do not need your phone to be in the car. The phone of the Automatic account owner will be called when a crash is detected from an Automatic Pro adapter. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.