Excessive battery usage is back

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I posted a one-star rating on Google Play for the app initially because of extremely excessive battery usage even when not driving. It was a GPS wakelock issue as far as I could tell. It was eventually resolved and I updated my rating.

Over the past few days I am once again seeing background wakelocks by Automatic causing excessive battery usage. Last night I sat down to check what had been causing my insane battery usage and noticed Automatic was in double digits with over nine and a half hours of background activity time.

I'll update this ticket as I can test over the next few days. I've disabled location permissions in Automatic today to see if the excessive battery issue persists. That was my workaround for the original bug.

Also there appears to be a bug here in the issue tracker as I tried submitting this once, it request I log in, and the ticket it loaded was empty.
Photo of Chris Clemons

Chris Clemons

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Derrick S.

Derrick S., Official Rep

• 7,084 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting this in the Community and please let us know what you find. As for the bug, you ended up posting twice, so I am not sure what happened there. If it happens again you would have to contact Get Satisfaction since they host. I will delete the (mostly) duplicate post. 
Photo of Chris Clemons

Chris Clemons

Look like it is indeed a GPS issue. Disabling location permissions for the app completely eliminated the idle battery usage by Automatic.

This is on a Google Pixel running stock Android 8.1.0
Photo of Chris Clemons

Chris Clemons

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Excessive battery usage is back..

I posted a one-star rating on Google Play for the app initially because of extremely excessive battery usage even when not driving. It was a GPS wakelock issue as far as I could tell. It was eventually resolved and I updated my rating.

Over the past few days I am once again seeing background wakelocks by Automatic causing excessive battery usage. Last night I sat down to check what had been causing my insane battery usage and noticed Automatic was in double digits with over nine and a half hours of background activity time.

I'll update this ticket as I can test over the next few days. I've disabled location permissions in Automatic today to see if the excessive battery issue persists. That was my workaround for the original bug.
Photo of Brendon Kozlowski

Brendon Kozlowski

• 184 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am alerted by my Android OS that Automatic is using battery - after my car is parked and turned off. I live in an area that has poor reception in certain spots, one of those spots happens to be my car's garage. It seems like Automatic loses reception and can't call home to provide data that the car has parked and is now off. Because of this the phone app continues running in the background (I am assuming). Thankfully I can force stop it, but it is a minor inconvenience that seems to be caused by an edge case that may not have been discovered. I'm not sure if this is related to Chris' issue or not.

My phone is a Google Pixel 2, running on the Google Fi network on Android OS v8.1.0 with "Security Patch level: March 5, 2018".
Photo of Derrick S.

Derrick S., Official Rep

• 7,084 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Brendan,

This is not the same issue and is not an edge case. The Automatic Pro adapter requires a 3G connection to function properly, so if the signal is lost then the adapter will continue to consider the vehicle to be driving and will upload the trip data once it reconnects. You can read more here: https://community.automatic.com/automatic/topics/what-happens-if-there-is-no-cellular-coverage-while...

I hope this sheds some light on the situation!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.