Lost data points on all routes since March 2017

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
Prior to last year all my routes had high resolution, now a 10 mile trip is composed of 5 or 10 points.  Very crude and ugly.  This is true for both cars and both units.  It connects well but misses a ton of data.  Both my accounts behave the same way.  Any ideas?
Photo of Ed Howard

Ed Howard

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Ani

Ani, Customer Care Lead

• 9,824 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Ed,

I had a look at your account and you have a pair of Gen 1 adapters. Unfortunately, we're no longer able to provide in-depth tech support troubleshooting for these kinds of issues on the Gen 1 adapter. They haven't been supported for some time and will likely be officially sunset in the future. 

I'm sorry I don't have better news for you. Let me know if you have any further questions. 
Photo of Ed Howard

Ed Howard

I understand the issue of old product and I am not looking for support per se, but you are the only ones that can possibly answer the why of the issue.  I am a software guy so I know it could be an IOS version issue or a bluetooth issue but your developers know what changed that could cause a problem like this.  Because it appears on two phones with two accounts and two adapters means others are seeing the same thing (though maybe not picking up on it).I am only interested in finding out from your tech guys what they think happened.  I would like to update but I am concerned that you will put me out to pasture a second time when some of the technology changes (as it will).  I also looked into upgrading a while ago and asked if there were any update pricing.  I was told no and the next week you guys ran a special (not nice!!).
Photo of estmatic

estmatic

• 1,020 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
It may not be anything with the adapter itself. They switched their map provider a while back (due to increased costs) and a lot of users have noticed and asked about the changes. The new provider is simply inferior to Google Maps. For me, the start/end addresses are mostly wrong (the GPS coordinates on the map are correct but the listed address doesn't actually exist), the route lines often don't line up with actual roads, and you sometimes see a route line on a road you weren't actually on.

I don't believe that is the adapters or a change in the software, though as you said, only the company/devs know for sure. I think they've never used all of the GPS data to generate the routes. They probably have it, but it's not all available via their app/API since it would be too much data. Instead they have an algorithm that reduces the number of data points and they generate the route line from that. Google Maps was simply better at generating a correct route from that data. That's my guess anyway, but obviously I could be completely wrong.
Photo of Ed Howard

Ed Howard

That is interesting.  I wonder when they changed their maps.  My data changed about 14 months ago so it that aligns with the map change I think you answered the question.  Nothing to do about it but it probably means I would not upgrade since the problem would most likely persist. 

Thanks for the response.
Photo of estmatic

estmatic

• 1,020 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
My experience is with the gen2 adapter and what I've read on the forums. The Pro has live tracking. I don't know how that affects the post-trip map data, if at all.