My Car (2007 BMW 530XI) is not supported as per your compatibility page. Why is that and is it likely to be supported in the near future?

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Photo of Ajay K

Ajay K

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Amy

Amy

• 68,970 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Ajay,

Here's our FAQ about car support. Since the launch of Automatic, we have seen consistent issues with certain generations and models of BMWs that are related to the way BMW wires their OBD-II ports. In simple terms, the wiring is often non-standard and the computers in many BMWs do not play nicely with Automatic. The most common result is dead car batteries because having anything plugged into the OBD-II port of certain BMWs can send them into an "awake" state which then "wakes up" our adapter when will then start pulling power from your battery while your car is off. 

There are no plans at this time to support these cars but that could change down the road.
Photo of Dan

Dan

• 1,018 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I've used Automatic in a number BMWs with no problems so I didn't check the compatibility list before plugging the device into the BMW 5 series I just got.

It killed the battery. Dead to the point it has to be replaced now.

Any chance you plan on supporting the BMWs that stay in the "awake" state? Is it possible?
Photo of Derrick S.

Derrick S., Official Rep

• 7,084 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Dan,

Sorry to hear about the dead battery! Unfortunately we don't have any plans to support those vehicles. Since we can't change the behavior of the onboard computer there isn't a workaround at this time. I wish I had better news!
Photo of Dan

Dan

• 1,018 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This is unfortunate. I have 10 automatic pros and I'll have to get a competitor's product to support 1 car.

I've checked other adapters and they say they work fine for the BMW 5 Series. Could you give me an idea why their adapter can keep the car in sleep mode but Automatic's can't?
Photo of Ajay K

Ajay K

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I would also like to know if their claims are true. I have seen other adapters like Vyncs state on their website that they work with all OBDs after 1996. I have not asked them specifically if they work for my 2007 BMW 530XI. I am happy with my 2 Automatic adapters for my 2 non BMW vehicles and I don't want to purchase a Vyncs and then finding out it doesn't work.
Is it technically possible for other companies to make adapters that can work with these models like mine (BMW 5 series)?
Photo of Derrick S.

Derrick S., Official Rep

• 7,084 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Dan and Ajay,

I can't comment on what other companies claim that their products can do, unfortunately. That said, I would speak to someone at that company to get their guarantee that it will work, and that if it drains your battery, that they will pay for a new one.(Get it in writing.) Anything is technically possible I suppose, but I would do some research and get some guarantees first.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.