Can I keep the adapter plugged in all the time?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

How many users leave their automatic plugged in all the time? I'm kinda leary at keeping it plugged in after my commute to work for 8 hours and then at night for 8 hours when I'm not using it. Am I just being paranoid?
Photo of Hotdogwater

Hotdogwater

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Chris Olson

Chris Olson

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
What are you worried about happening if you leave it plugged in while it's not in use? If the car isn't on then I assume there's no power going to the ODB2 port, however that could vary from make/model, and that's just a guess on my end as well. I leave mine plugged in all the time. I haven't moved it since I initially set up in December.
Photo of Amy

Amy

• 68,970 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi, Hogdogwater. I can understand your concern. Plugging an after-market product into your OBD port for continual use should not be taken lightly - for more reasons than just concern about battery drain. However, we take a lot of care to make our product as safe and secure as possible. I wish all companies that produce and sell these types of devices did the same.

Here's an FAQ that I think addresses what you're concerned about, though. Please don't hesitate to ask any other questions!
Photo of Hotdogwater

Hotdogwater

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the replies. I'm just wondering because it has power because when I plug it in with the car off it chirps on :). I just dont want to come out to my car and it's dead.
Photo of Amy

Amy

What's the year/make/model of your car? In most cars, this should not be a concern. But some higher end BMWs have been known to have any issue with any 3rd party device plugged into them.
Photo of Franklin Switzer

Franklin Switzer

• 204 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I currently have (3) automatic gen 2's in my cars and they are in 24/7 since Dec. 2015. I have a 2013 Ford F150 FX4, a 2012 Toyota Prius, and a 2009 Smart fortwo Passion. I have had no problems with any of them.
(Edited)
Photo of Amy

Amy

Thanks for sharing your experience, Franklin!
Photo of Nick

Nick

• 444 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Well I have never taken it off in past 6 months and there's not been a single instance of draining or any other issue. Do check out labs in dashboard, automatic recently added Battery Health metrics.. will give you an idea regarding battery performance. Hope this helps. 
Photo of Amy

Amy

Thanks for mentioning that, Nick. We haven't even done a full announcement yet of that new feature but I'm glad you found it and are enjoying it!

Here's the link to Dashboard Labs for those who are curious to check out what Nick's talking about.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.