Save frequently travelled routes

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Implemented
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I'd love to be able to save/use my frequently travelled routes, like my Garmin watch does.

I drive to and from work Monday-Friday... Same route each time. Being able to save and compare the same trips would help your app and device find me better ways to save money and time on the trip I think.

If I could tell it I am heading to work, it could reference the route, see what I did last time I went, and then suggest ways to improve it.
Photo of alienmeatsack

alienmeatsack

• 612 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Josh

Josh, Former Employee

• 3,188 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
All possibilities as we explore new potential features...
Photo of alienmeatsack

alienmeatsack

• 612 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
As mentioned in another topic, this would also be useful when you stop for gas or coffee during your trip and the app thinks it's two seperate trips. I think it could help the app to know that we are indeed still on our way to work as we've not reached the destination.
Photo of Amy

Amy

• 68,970 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This topic about combining legs of trips is another way to address this last issue. Might be easier to give users the control to combine or split trips rather than the app trying to be smart and figure it out for you. I often find that when software tries to be "too smart" it just gets in the way. :) 

Getting recommendations on which route options have historically been your most fuel-efficient for frequently travelled routes would be pretty handy. Do you feel like what Google Maps or Waze provide in terms of current traffic address this? Or are you wanting something more specific?
Photo of Jake Justice

Jake Justice

• 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Amy, this is exactly the feature I was planning to suggest. I'm not sure how you could pull it off- perhaps the app could filter all routes with similar start and end points, and then rank them score-wise (or cost of fuel-wise). I have two or three routes that I use to get to / from work, and since I'm a Seattle resident, the routes vary pretty wildly as far as incline / average speed / stops / etc. I'll bet that there are some advantages to each route that I could exploit to boost my score.

My perfect feature for this would be as follows-
1. Select some "Route Comparison" tool ("Route Optimization"?) from the menu.
2. Automatic filters all routes with similar start and end points, counts up the frequency of use, and shows them ranked by frequency.
3. Upon selection of a particular "route", each "trip" from that "route" is shown, ranked by score / cost of trip / trip time (user-selectable sort feature).

At this point, the user could simply compare the numbers and make a determination about which routes are better than others (since it'd be hard for the app itself to group versions of the routes as well as a human could- I can't imagine a way for the software to differentiate my Seattle trips, where some are along Interstate 5 and others are along US 99, a smaller parallel highway).

I'd also love it is, in the data display for a particular "Route", you could see an "extra cost as compared to best" and "extra time as compared to best". The app would just need to determine what the "best trip" in each "Route" and compare all other trips to that "best".

Looking forward to getting everything set up when my Link arrives!
Photo of Amy

Amy

We are actively working on a feature very similar to this, Jake! Lots of data hacking going on right now. :)
Photo of Jake Justice

Jake Justice

• 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the follow-up, Amy. Nerds everywhere (i.e. me) will rejoice over the ability to optimize!
Photo of Amy

Amy

You're welcome. We agree and will rejoice right along with you!
Photo of Amy

Amy

While we may not build this feature quite as you've described it here, we are planning to build the ability to label frequent start and end points.
Photo of Amy

Amy

Official Response
I wanted to update this topic to say that this is a feature we are actively exploring!
Photo of jalm1

jalm1

• 106 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The most appealing feature set of frequent routes would be to compare time and stats. For example I would love to add routes (e.g., Home -> work and then another work -> home, and so on). and then be able to see stats about the population of drive on these routes.

I dont know if it needs to compare alternative routes (e.g., waze), but what it should do is compare drive time and drive score by departure time.

For example, on the days i need to go to our south bay office (SF -> Santa Clara) it can take 1 to 2 hours purely based on when i leave. Sure some of that will be driven by accidents or whatnot, but an average will develop, and that is where i feel the sweet spot is. Something more that my intuition that says on average if you leave before 6:45 your drive should be ~X time, if you leave after 7AM it will be X+45 min and your score averages Y points higher.

By looking at departure times for common routes, automatic can provide feedback to shorten the commute and improve drive sore (e.g., fewer hard breaks in bumper to bumper) and make our lives better without being over complicated.
Photo of Amy

Amy

We agree! :)
Photo of Amy

Amy

Official Response
Check out our Commute Analyzer in Dashboard Labs.  

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.