Since CarPlay isn't available in my 2015 Audi, how about Automatic helping to bridge the gap like you did with Ford?

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Photo of Aron Smetana

Aron Smetana

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jeff

Jeff, Alum

• 14,146 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hey Aron,

Thanks again for reaching out.

What types of features would you be looking for that would be in CarPlay? I know previously you asked about Siri support, but I was curious what other gaps you'd be look for Automatic to fill.

Thanks.
Photo of Aron Smetana

Aron Smetana

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the quick response to my inquiries.  Honestly the number one thing would be the ability to use the car's built-in microphone with Siri and the phone's apps that accept voice input.  Right now the only way to do it is to touch the phone to trigger the mic or Siri, then quickly press the car's voice activated nav button, speak quickly (before the car's voice recognition intervenes).  It's not a hands-free thing and I know it's not really directly in Automatic's area, but since Automatic already talks over Bluetooth maybe there could be some kind of trigger that would queue up both microphones simultaneously?

Thanks,

Aron
Photo of Jeff

Jeff, Alum

Thanks for getting back, Aron.

Unfortunately, I don't know if this is something our team would be looking to get done anytime soon as we just have other areas that require focus and resources right now. Of course, I'll be sure to pass it along.

In the meantime, there is a workaround...

If you'd like to use Siri hands-free, you can actually do this with your phone already. All you will need is to have your iPhone plugged in while driving and turn on the "Hey Siri" feature (Settings - General - Siri - Allow "Hey Siri").

With this feature, you can simply say "Hey Siri" while your iPhone is plugged in, and it will trigger Siri to use voice input.

I know that isn't exactly what you were looking for, but hopefully, it is a workaround that somewhat fills the need you were looking for :)
Photo of Aron Smetana

Aron Smetana

Thanks, Jeff.  I thought I'd tried that before but I'll try again.  When paired with the car's BT, I'm not entirely sure that the microphone on the iPhone is active--I thought it was waiting for the car mic to turn on to listening mode.  I'll try shouting at it nonetheless on the way home tonight, I won't have any passengers until later.
Photo of Jeff

Jeff, Alum

I have made use of it in the past, so it definitely should work even when connected to the car's Bluetooth. If your music is somewhat loud, it will have trouble picking up your voice. It will do it from the iPhone's microphone, so just make sure it is clear of any obstructions and the music is low/off. Probably worth trying it with any audio off in the background.
Photo of Aron Smetana

Aron Smetana

You sound like someone who has a similar car, Jeff!  This would be a workable solution, thank you!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.