Support for/by Apple CarPlay

• Idea
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Not Planned
Wondering/hoping that Automatic's data will be accessible through the Apple CarPlay interface. I realize you may be under NDA but I hope this is at least under consideration on both ends.
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 318 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Ani

Ani, Customer Care Lead

• 9,544 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Apple's move into the connected car is definitely something we've been playing close attention to. It just got officially released today so it's a bit early on for this small company to start seriously considering putting a ton of resources into exploring integration. :) We're certainly aware of it though!

Photo of Shawn Kenney

Shawn Kenney

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I would love this. I may be a power user, but I'm looking to get car play the moment it becomes available. I have a Ford Fusion Hybrid which provides some driver feedback, but I would love to see more robust driving feedback in real time as I am driving which isn't very safe when the data display is limited to an iPhone.
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

• 41,686 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for your insights, Shawn! We'll be sure to post any updates regarding CarPlay integration right here in this thread.
Photo of Travis

Travis

• 116 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Performance inclined CarPlay integration.

I love Automatic, I just wish it did a little more for the performance market. Apps like DashCommand, Rev Sports, or Engine Link really have the functionality that I want in something that reads the OBDII. They pull literally any information coming from your OBDII, like RPMs, speed, volts, engine temp, gas level, etc. Wherever there is a sensor, they allow the information it gathers to be shown on your iPhone or iPad. Would it be that difficult to add a section of the app where the user could monitor this data on your iPhone or iPad as an auxiliary gauge pod, or on CarPlay since it just basically mirrors the iPhone it is connected to? Automatic is awesome but it doesn't really do much on the surface while the user is driving (probably intentionally). Those other apps also monitor hard brakes, speed and hard starts as well but Automatic does it better. If Automatic added the "in car" functionality that they have, I don't see any reason to get anything else.
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

Hi Travis! Thanks for your ideas surrounding CarPlay integration, and we're glad that you're enjoying Automatic :) 

We'll keep this thread updated with the latest developments regarding CarPlay.
Photo of Steve

Steve

Glad this thread is still bopping along and interesting to people.

I spent the weekend completing the installation of a Pioneer AVC-400NEX into my 98 Cherokee - I chose the head unit because Pioneer is promising a firmware update with support for CarPlay sometime this summer.

Like Travis, I hope Automatic will eventually support "data while driving" for visual alerts through CarPlay to complement the hardware's audio alerts, along with the possibility for specific data to be displayed as the kind of "auxiliary gauge pod" he described above.

Prior to installing Automatic in my ODB-II port, I had a hardware dongle there that fed data from the car to Rev running on my iPhone. Having this kind of additional information all through a single app would be fantastic. But for the time being, I'm going to run an ODB-II splitter so I can have the best of both worlds, with the second port feeding data to apps supported by Pioneer's AppRadio functionality - like DashCommand.

No matter what you guys have planned for the future, Automatic has made a major difference in my driving habits.

Thanks & best to you all,

Steve
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

Thanks for the great feedback, Steve! We'll be sure to keep this thread updated with the latest info regarding CarPlay support.
(Edited)
Photo of Matt Kretman

Matt Kretman

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Carplay Support.

will you be doing any support with Carplay? I would like to have it display check engine light with the ability to select a place to take it if needed and also display how many miles I have left while driving.
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

Hi Matt. We're still exploring the possibilities of CarPlay support, so stay tuned! Thanks for sharing what functionalities you're interested in seeing within CarPlay. We'll keep this in mind.
Photo of Budd Johnson

Budd Johnson

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Apple Car Play.

Will Automatic and Apple team up to work with Apple Car Play?

Budd
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

Hi Budd! The details are still pretty hazy when it comes to CarPlay. We're still waiting for Apple to release more information regarding the API, but we're definitely aware of the interest for Automatic users :) 
(Edited)
Photo of Keith Sutterfield

Keith Sutterfield

Updated my Pioneer AVIC8000-NEX today to support CarPlay. Now that third party radios with CarPlay support are widely available I hope Automatic can be updated to support it!

Keith
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

Thanks for chiming in Keith. There's not much to report in regards to CarPlay support, but we do realize that some Automatic users have a big interest in it. Stay tuned!

Keith Sutterfield

Thanks Tom, I envision features like live/average MPG and the ability to force a connection for times when the automatic connections fails at the start of a trip. I Love your product, and am glad to see Automatic takes an interest in their customers' interests!
Photo of Steve

Steve

Yes I upgraded my AVH4000-NEX this morning to support CarPlay as well. Hoping Apple/developers add CarPlay functionality to more apps.
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

Official Response
Hi everyone! I have a quick update on this idea. For now, we've changed this idea to "Not Planned" as the CarPlay API is not publicly available (yet). When Apple finally opens up the API to all 3rd party developers, we'll reassess our integration/support. Thanks again for expressing your interest and support. If and when things change, we'll be sure to update this discussion.

Keith Sutterfield

Thanks for keeping us updated!
Photo of Budd Johnson

Budd Johnson

Thats great.
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

No problem, Keith and Budd! 
Photo of Shaine Parr

Shaine Parr

• 106 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Can't wait! Keep us posted.
Photo of Randall Meals

Randall Meals

• 70 Points
Do it!
Photo of skipfish3

skipfish3

• 74 Points
Its publicly available now. All you have to do is to register in MFI program: https://mfi.apple.com/MFiWeb/enroll.action
Photo of Junk and Stuff

Junk and Stuff

• 60 Points
I'm holding out on purhasing a smart car adapter until I see who supports CarPlay. I have a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX. When do plan to support!?
Photo of Joe Abley

Joe Abley

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Automatic for iOS should include a CarPlay information panel, for phones that are....

Apps intended to be used in the car are exposed in CarPlay (Maps, Messages, Phone, etc). Automatic is surely one of those apps.
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

Thanks for the idea regarding CarPlay, Joe. Automatic would be a great addition to Carplay, but Apple hasn't fully made the API available to 3rd party developers just yet. Please see my above post for more details.
Photo of k.alansari1

k.alansari1

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled CarPlay.
Would love to see my car's data diagnosis in real time when I'm driving...

CarPlay support.
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

Thanks for your post, k.alansari1. Please see the above posts for more details on CarPlay support.
Photo of Shaine Parr

Shaine Parr

I also would love it if my Automatic worked with my CarPlay receiver!
Photo of Shaine Parr

Shaine Parr

Photo of Jonathan

Jonathan, Alum

• 4,232 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Hi Shaine,

Thanks for your enthusiasm around Automatic and CarPlay, I assure you we're exploring all possibilities for the time being, and if anything changes in the future, you'll hear about it from us. :)
Photo of Ron Barr

Ron Barr

• 60 Points
+1 = a carplay version would be great.
Photo of Jeff

Jeff, Alum

• 14,146 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for chiming in, Ron!

At this point, CarPlay is on an invite-only basis, but we will keep our eyes on it!
Photo of Randall Meals

Randall Meals

• 70 Points
Still hoping for CarPlay support...
Photo of Ty Taylor

Ty Taylor

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Apple's CarPlay.

How about compatibility with Apple's CarPlay. I think being able to decode engine faults from the larger LCD screens many cars have would be a great bonus!
Photo of iansampaio

iansampaio

• 62 Points
Any update on this? It seems CarPlay SDK became more flexible for developers. That is the one thing holding me back to buy Automatic.
Photo of Derrick S.

Derrick S., Official Rep

• 5,654 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi iansampaio,

At this time are no plans for a CarPlay integration.