Tagging Trips as Business or Pleasure

• Idea
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Implemented
I would find it a HUGE plus if the Link software would let me designate any trip as either personal or business, and keep the results stored for an extended period. This would enable me to painlessly maintain the required log of business driving needed to claim a tax deduction without having to record everything manually.
Photo of Brian Weiss

Brian Weiss

• 1,152 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

• 41,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi everyone. I'm happy to announce that business trip tagging is now available in v2.7+ of the iOS app and v1.7+ of the Android app! Here are the basics: Once a trip appears in the timeline, tap on it to view the trip summary. At the bottom of this screen, tap on the “Business” button in order to tag the trip. Right now, you can only tag trips with “Business”, but we are planning to add more options in a future update to the app. Eventually, you will also be able to view your tagged trips and export this data to a .CSV file on the web dashboard.

For more details on the trip tagging feature, please visit
this FAQ.

We also recently launched a Concur integration.
Click here to read more about the integration and check out the related FAQs here.
Photo of Johnny Sweeney

Johnny Sweeney

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Suggestion box.

I need to have the ability to change tagging for business trips. Some of my trips are not tagged correctly, thus reporting is inaccurate. Is this feature a planned implementation? If so, when is expected roll date? Thanks!
Photo of Jeff

Jeff, Alum

• 14,146 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hey Johnny,

Thanks for getting in touch, and welcome to the Automatic Community!

Our team is continuing to work on the tagging feature based on the ideas promoted from this community. At this time, you can tag/untag trips as Business by going to that trip and selecting/deselecting the Business option at the bottom. At this time, however, there isn't the option to customize or add additional tags.

For more information, please visit the following FAQ post: https://community.automatic.com/automatic/topics/how-does-the-trip-tagging-feature-work

Hope this helps :)
Photo of Johnny Sweeney

Johnny Sweeney

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am not able to untag once a trip is tagged. Also, I have a few trips I reviewed and closed without tagging as business. I now cannot tag as business after closing map.

That is the crux of my question. I need the ability to edit the tag of previously tagged trips.
Photo of Jeff

Jeff, Alum

• 14,146 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hey Johnny,

Thanks for getting back and for the additional information on what exactly is going on.

I spoke with our product team and there is a known bug for tagging trips as Business if those trips are including breaks throughout. If you were to stop driving, tag the trip as Business and begin driving again within 15 minutes, it will make that tag locked. This bug is being addressed in our next update, but there is a workaround for the time being.

The workaround will require that you turn off Brief Stops. To do so, open the app and go to your settings. In the second grouping, you will see Brief Stops. Open that and toggle it to off. That will allow you to individually tag each trip as Business.

If you continue to experience issues, please contact support@automatic.com and refer to this issue.
Photo of Adam Altman

Adam Altman

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
NOTE: this bug only affects you if you're on iOS and have brief stops turned on.
Photo of Robert Carter

Robert Carter

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Can you bring this feature back? It was removed in a recent update.
Photo of Derrick S.

Derrick S., Official Rep

• 7,354 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Robert,

You can still tag trips for business, the only thing that was removed was the notification at the end of the trip asking you if you want to tag a trip. You can see how to tag a trip here: https://community.automatic.com/automatic/topics/does-automatic-pro-include-business-trip-tagging. The notification was temporarily removed to help with parking notification reliability. Not to worry, this feature will not be gone forever! We plan to bring it back in new and improved fashion when the necessary infrastructure has been completed. Thanks for your patience in the mean time.