Tire Pressure Readout in Automatic App while inflating tires

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Not Planned
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Allow tire pressure to be displayed on the iPhone Automatic App screen. I would love this feature. It could be used when setting tire pressure at a pay air compressor or other location. Today I add some air to my tire then poke my head inside the car to watch the dash readout in my 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. Then add some more, then look at the dash, rinse and repeat... If I had the tire pressure readout on my iPhone I could perform this routine maintenance procedure quicker. Also I remember a car commercial many months ago featuring that the car would honk it's horn when you have filled tire to recommended pressure range thus this is a feature customers must desire.
Photo of Matthew Boggs

Matthew Boggs

• 330 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Mituna

Mituna

• 332 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It's a cool idea, I'm not sure it'd work with all cars though. There's always a delay with filling my tires and the TPMS light going off, so I'm not aware how real-time the monitoring system in cars is. If you're getting a live readout, then it might be possible! We'd have to see what the team says though.
Photo of CJ Siano

CJ Siano

• 1,680 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Most TPMS do not transmit the actual pressure. It is just a switch that says yea/nay if pressure is above a specific point.
Photo of Matthew Boggs

Matthew Boggs

• 330 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I believe TPMS was mandated in the USA in like 2007 or 2008 by NHTSA/DOT so models prior to this year most likely would not have this information available however models after 2007/2008 would. It also seems there have been provisions added to SAE J1939-71 for Tire Pressure Functions.

I envisioned an additional window/view in the Automatic App for vehicles post 2007/2008 then. I'm not sure what polling rate Automatic Link could request the tire pressure information from the J1939/CAN datalink when viewing this information. Possibly it could request this information slightly more often than the typical dash readout updates for a limited time while tire pressure is being set by the user.

Certainly interested to see what the Automatic development team could come up with!
Photo of Amy

Amy

• 68,970 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the suggestion, Matthew.
Photo of Julian

Julian

• 626 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Tire pressure.

Tire pressure data in post-2007 cars would be great! Especially for the focus on efficient driving—maintaining the right balance of tire pressure can be tricky.

I think I've heard that tire pressure is not a standardized part of the ODB data, but it would be lovely to have even in the limited cars that provide it in some fashion.
Photo of Amy

Amy

• 68,970 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Tire pressure isn't a standard OBD code which means this isn't really a feature we can provide through our app.
Photo of Alex Fitzpatrick

Alex Fitzpatrick

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Show tire pressure!!.

One of the biggest issues with my 2012 Jetta SE is the fact that it doesn't have a real trip computer built in. My old 2006 Passat had one that showed real time MPG, individual tire pressure, trip time, etc. This is why I'm looking to buy Automatic, so I can finally see all of this. However, I would love to be able to see tire pressure with the press of a button on the app. Whats the possibility of this happening? It would certainly be a done deal and I would buy right now if Automatic had this!!
Photo of Ani

Ani, Customer Care Lead

• 9,824 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
As Amy mentions above, we can't provide this information based on the data we receive from the OBD-II port. However, it is part of the maintenance reminders we plan on including in the future. We'll help you stay on top of your tire pressure even if we can't provide the data on what it is. Check out this other topic for our thoughts on this feature:

http://community.automatic.com/automa...
Photo of Timmy Regan

Timmy Regan

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Are there any plans to update/upgrade to include Tire Pressure (TPS) with Automatic?.
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

• 41,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Timmy. As mentioned in the above posts, tire pressure isn't a standard OBD code, so unfortunately this isn't a feature we're planning to add. We are, however, planning to implement maintenance reminders in a future update. See this topic for more details.
Photo of Isto Barton

Isto Barton

• 86 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Tire Pressure Reading.

Hey there, I know that this was already listed as a problem, but I didn't see it under the ideas column. It would save me a lot of hassle if the app would tell me my tire's current pressure or at least which tire is low. I frequently get holes in my tires, and I find it exhausting.

http://getsatisfaction.com/automatic/...
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

Thanks Isto. I merged your topic with a related idea discussion on tire pressure readout. Unfortunately, tire pressure isn’t a standard OBD code, so we have no way of accessing that information. As a result, this isn’t a feature we planning to add to the app. It sure would be handy though!
Photo of Gary Heller

Gary Heller

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Low Tire Warning not displayed on software.

I have a 2014 Chrysler Town & Country the other day one of my tires had low air pressure it shows this in the dashboard but There was no message displayed on the Automatic software shouldn't it show a low tire warning on the automatic software?
Photo of Tom

Tom, Former Employee

Hi there, Gary. I merged your question into a related discussion on a tire pressure feature. Automatic doesn't provide information on tire pressure because this data isn't accessible via the OBD-II port. Automatic can only read and interpret engine codes related to the Check Engine Light. Please see the above posts and this related FAQ for more details
Photo of Jonathan Easter

Jonathan Easter

• 60 Points
We all can see that you cannot provide the tire pressure through obd.. Blah blah blah
Let's think outside the box! We have technology already that has provided us with Bluetooth sensor tire valve caps that can communicate with our phone. Hence its an easy enhancement that you could adjust to that will keep your customers before they leave to other companies that are pushing the bar on complete vehicle diagnostic.. Obd or not. Just a thought. Maybe you could become compatible with companies already existing that provide these Bluetooth caps the read tire pressure.
Your welcome
Photo of Jennifer

Jennifer, Alum

• 2,686 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hey, Jonathan. Welcome to the community! Thanks for chiming in, I'll be sure to pass it along to the team :)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.